Conference "The New Past: History-Writing Practices in the Stream of Time"
The Institute of History and International Relations of Southern Federal University and the Editorial Board of “Novoe Proshloe / The New Past” journal with support of Paulsen Fellowship (London Scholl of Economics and Political Science) invite to participate in the conference "The New Past: History-Writing Practices in the Stream of Time", which will be held on October 8–9, 2019 at the venue of the Institute in Rostov-on-Don, B. Sadovaya, 33.
Organizers expect that the conference will be held annually and will become an attractive intellectual platform to discuss strategies and mechanisms for shaping images of the past, their social and political reception, the role of the professional community in the formation of a grand narratives and cultural memory.
The questions which we are going to discuss on the conference include:
- The phenomenon of the past and identity;
- Academic practices of representation of the past;
- Popular historical culture(s) in various contexts;
- Symbols of the past and their role in the functioning of historical consciousness;
- Schools and directions in historiography and their peculiarities;
- Historical memory and historical oblivion, factors of their formation;
- Memory politics;
- Collective traumas and their role in thinking about the past;
- Tools and mechanisms for managing the past;
- Popular geopolitics and history;
- Documents and archives, techniques of working with them;
- Biographies and biographics.
For more information, visit the page of the conference on the website of “Novoe Proshloe / The New Past” journal.